Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Mason Jar Pendant Light

Have you seen the Mason Jar lights in the newly remodeled Bob Evans' Restaurants, Pottery Barn or the incredible creativity of people posting on pinterest/Plow & Hearth?  They are really nice!
So, a year ago, I bought a box of old Mason Jars.  There was one blue one, but I had to get the whole shebang just so I could have the blue one.  Needless to say, I suddenly had extra jars hanging about.

I also had been to Ikea and found their cord set. (A similar style to the one below..but it plugs in...don't ask, we have a mid-century modern home, with all sorts of unique amenities!!)
After the idea came to me (...I won't lie, it took awhile...) I decided to simply combine the two!  The Ikea cord set simply screws together to put their shade on, so all I needed to do was make a hole in the top of the mason jar lid that was large enough to fit the light socket through and screw the flat plate onto the other side.

I used a variety of tools to make the hole in the lid...but learned that clamping the metal jar lid to something on both sides and using a drill bit and screwdriver to punch out the area; is by far the best/safest method.

So, this is the result!  

No comments:

Post a Comment