Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Kroehler buffet table...salvaged and beautified!

I was at a Church Rummage sale and spotted a Kroehler Buffet Table.  If you're not familiar with  Kroehler, they are a furniture making company started in Chicago in 1902.  Their peak in popularity was from the 1940's through the 1960's.  They produced high quality, solid wood furniture, with definite flair.  It's very mid-century modern and the original pieces would be very comfortable on the Mad Men set!


So, when I saw it, I thought, "ooooh how fun!". (That thought occurs to me a lot when looking at furniture).  However, this piece looked like it had been sitting in a basement for awhile.  It had the usual mid-west basement furniture problems: chipped legs, gouged top, possible remains of water damage...

But, undaunted, I spent the $25 and bought the piece.  (Yes, $25.)

It is a sleek piece with flush drawers and pulls only on the top row.

So, I decided to put this in the entry way, but it HAD to be painted before that happened.  I've refinished and repaired wood before, but this was too bad to repair.  However, paint can camouflage anything!

Next, pull the drawers out, removed the hardware, and get ready for to repair and sand.  I did all this in the front yard because that was the closest spot to its final resting place.  However, I would definitely recommend doing any sanding and/or painting outside or in a garage if possible.

Then I started sanding the existing finish so the paint would stick.  Apparently, I have some sort of masochistic tenancy, because I ALWAYS do it by hand, even though I have a sander.

After sanding, get out either wood putty or "Durham's Water Putty".

Yes, the stuff is real!  And looks like it could be a product developed right around the time the buffet was made!

Fill your gouges, or missing areas and let dry.  You may need more than one application depending on the depth or extent of the gouge or damage.  After it's at the level you want, sand it smooth. Really take your time here because this work will show when your project is finished.  If you're really particular, sand with a couple different grades of sandpaper and/or finish with steel wool. (I'm really particular...)

Next, wipe off the dust from the repair work and other sanding and ready the paint supplies!
For painting, you'll have to decide what kind of finish you're looking for and then how to do it.  For this project, I wanted a BRIGHT, SUPER GLOSSY finish.  So I chose an enamel.  And, man, is it potent! whew! Even though I was outside, it was really, really stinky.

I also spray painted the brass handles black.  They have a really great shape, so I wanted to keep them.  But brass and yellow don't work together.  at. all.

Here are some pictures:

You might be able to make out the damage on the closest foot.  The top of one drawer had a hunk chipped out of it and the top was gouged significantly.  But now....all you see is sunshine!! ;)


PS: That mirror isn't yellow...it's a green/sage color.  It was a Habitat Reuse-It store purchase that was painted and hung sideways.  I think it was $40...so the mirror is more expensive than the buffet!! The color of it in this picture is horrible!!


It just started raining...and it's dark!!  Especially for noon.  Anyway, here's the entryway...now you can see why I need help with that wall!!  Yuck. Seriously UGLY.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Do you know the years that Kroehler used the mark/logo that you have posted above? I have 2 pieces with the same logo.
    Thanks.
    Lou
    Columbus, OH

    ReplyDelete