Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Camouflage an "oops" or Upcycling your Shirts!

While working on the "mud wall" I was waylaid by a small problem...

My first grader came home from school with a "mysterious" hole in his shirt.  He didn't know how it got there.  And didn't notice it until I mentioned it.  It was about the size of a quarter.

Well, this was a nice long-sleeve Life Is Good woven shirt.  Perfect color for fall, and plenty bit to last through the year.

What to do....

What to do....

How to save the shirt?

Look at Pinterest and Etsy.  Two great sources for ideas.  I decided to put an applique on top of the hole.

Much to my surprise, when the shirt was washed, the hole shrunk drastically.  It was obvious that it was made by poking the shirt with a pencil. Hmmmm.... <sigh>

Anyway, there are lots and lots of cute ideas out there!  Numbers (for birthday shirts); animals, footballs, basically anything you can think of.  I was inspired by a deer shape -- we happen to have a significant amount in our neighborhood and their antlers are now visible.  So, I used my 7th grade art skills to draw a shape proportionate to the shirt and a large enough to cover the area where the hole was.  I also printed off a picture I found online (silhouette of a deer head).  It wasn't the right size, but made creating the new shape much easier.

For the fabric, I wanted to try something boy-ish and it needed to match the shirt.  So, I dug around in my giant space bag full of "baby clothes that are too cute for me to let go of".  I was initially thinking something camo or striped would be cute; but found a really cute 3 month size plaid button down.  So cute!!  It also had an orange/rust color in it that looked great with the shirt. (winner!)
Here's a close up of the fabric, simply hand stitched on top of the shirt.  Yes, a machine would have been A LOT faster...but I don't have a machine that is easy to access.  A contrasting thread would also be sharp; but this one blends so you won't see any huge discrepancies in the stitching.

Here's the finished product:

It looks even better on!!  So good, that my other one asked me to make him a "special shirt" too......:)

No comments:

Post a Comment