Thursday, December 26, 2013

Vinyl repurposed

Have you seen the fun people are having with old vinyl? They're shaping them into bowls, trays and I've even seen clocks! The end product has a really cool, shiny, funky, metro vibe.

I looked online and saw some great, artistic options...but I needed it for a gift exchange, and it was already Christmas morning...so I was out of time!

Luckily I planned a little ahead, so I already had the vinyl. But, I soon learned it making these things was harder than it looked. The good thing is that vinyl can be reheated and reshaped.

So, with the oven set just below 200 degrees, I tried a couple different melting methods:

1. Set the record on a bowl. Place a can on the label of the record. As the vinyl heats, it will start sinking into the bowl. Wait until it is flexible, then shape it into something attractive.

Or:

2. Place the record in the oven on top of a tall can. Again, wait until it starts drooping. Then shape it.

The most interesting thing I found was that the record melted differently depending on their age. The 50's were a lot different than the 80's!

Here are a few pictures of the outcome:

1 comment:

  1. These are interesting! I wonder if you could just heat them with a hair dryer.

    ReplyDelete